Gustavsburg verdankt seinen Namen und Ursprung dem Schwedenkönig Gustav Adolf II, der nach seinem erfolgreichen Rheinübergang am 17. Dezember 1631 (während des 30jährigen Krieges) und der Einnahme der Stadt Mainz eine umfangreiche Festungsanlage an der Mündung des Mains in den Rhein erbauen ließ (die heutige Stadt Gustavsburg). Zeitweise wurden bis zu 1500 hessen-darmstädtische Bauarbeiter aus dem Ried und dem Odenwald herangezogen, um eine rasche Fertigstellung des Werkes zu ermöglichen. So erstreckte sich die Bauzeit der sechs sternförmig angelegten Bastionen und ihrer selbständigen Vorwerke, die allesamt aus Stein gebaut wurden, nur auf zwei Jahre.
Gustavsburg (Gustav's Fortress) can thank the Swedish King Gustav Adolf II for its name and origin, who, after crossing the Rhine successfully on 17 December 1631 (during the 30 Years War) and seizing the city of Mainz, built an extensive fortress complex where the Main river emptied into the Rhine river (modern day Gustavsburg). During construction, there were at times around 1,500 Hessian-Darmstaedter workers from the Ried and Odenwald areas organized, to ensure an expedient build. Thus making the span of the construction of six star-formed bastions and other strategic builds, all constructed in stone, only a mere two years.


Oben: Kupferstich der Gustavsburg, Matthäus Merian, 1655, Topographia Hassiae
Above: Copperplate Engraving of the Gustavsburg Fortress, Matt. Merian, 1655, Topographia Hassiae

 
Oben: König Gustav Adolf II, porträtiert von Jakob Elbfas in 1630
Above: King Gustav Adolf II, portrait by Jakob Elbfas in 1630

Während der Bauarbeiten traten an mehreren Stellen Mauerreste römischen Ursprungs zutage. Nach zeitgenössischen Berichten wurden auch eine Reihe Altäre und Grabdenkmäler, zahlreiche Münzen und Gefäße gefunden. Pfahlroste einer Römerbrücke, unter Trajan erbaut, befinden sich noch heute im Flussbett des Mains und dokumentieren die strategische Bedeutung der Mainspitze zur Römerzeit. (siehe hier auf der Webseite: "History", "Römer/Romans" und/oder "Gustavsburg", "Brücken/Bridges")
During the construction, many fragments of ancient Roman origin appeared. According to eye-witness accounts, many altars and funerary monuments, diverse coins and vessels were found. Bridge pilings from the Roman bridge built under Trajan are still present today in the riverbed of the Main and document the strategic importance of the area during Roman times. (see here on the website: "History", "Römer/Romans" and/or "Gustavsburg", "Brücken/Bridges")

Reichskanzler Axel Oxenstierna, der das Werk seines gefallenen Königs fortsetzte, erließ am 2. Dezember 1633 einen Schutz- und Freiheitsbrief für die neue "Realfestung und Stadt", deren "herrliche Situation und Commodität" bereits Gustav Adolf wahrgenommen hatte, und verlieh den Bewohnern und allen, die sich an dem neuen Platz ansiedeln wollten, ansehnliche Privilegien. Wie viele dem Ruf nach Gustavsburg folgten, ist nicht mehr festzustellen. Nach zwei harten Belagerungen durch kaiserliche Truppen wurde die Festung von den Schweden im Jahre 1635 aufgegeben und geräumt. Bis 1648 hielten sich noch französische Truppen auf, doch danach setzte ein stetiger Verfall ein.
Chancellor Axel Oxenstierna, who proceeded with the duties of the fallen King (Lützen, 06 Nov. 1632), issued a Protectorate and Freedom Decree for the "actual Fortress and City", whose "grand location and potential" was realized by Gustav Adolf, and granted the inhabitants and all who wished to settle there, several priviledges. How many souls acutally followed the call to settle, is no longer ascertainable. After two difficult occupations by the Emperor's troops, the Swedish Fortress was deserted and abandoned in 1635. Until 1648, French troops were utilizing the fortress, however afterwards, the fortress continued into further disrepair.

1673 ließ der Mainzer Kurfürst Johann Philipp von Schönborn die Anlage schleifen bzw. die Steine abtragen um in die Mainzer Festungsmauern einzubauen. Bis 1740 ist als einzige Ansiedlung in einem Gemarkungsplan von der ehemaligen Gustavsburg eine Ziegelhütte verzeichnet.
In 1673, the Great Elector Johann Philipp von Schoenborn commanded that the Gustavsburg be removed (so it could no longer be used as an attack point against Mainz) and the stone material be used to expand the fortress walls of Mainz. Afterwards, the only site of inhabitance within the areal of the Gustavsburg until 1740 is a mere production site for bricks, listed on historical maps as the "Ziegelhuette".

Mit dem Bau der Eisenbahnbrücke über den Rhein oberhalb von Mainz entstand 1860 die "neue" Gustavsburg, nachdem bereits seit 1784 eine Gastwirtschaft am alten Gustavsburger Hafen und eine zweite seit 1836 bestanden. Aus dieser Ansiedlung mit zehn Einwohnern entwickelte sich im Zeitraum von rund hundert Jahren ein blühender Industrieort, der vor allem nach dem letzten Krieg große Anstrengungen machte, um die einem modernen Gemeinwesen übertragenen Aufgaben zu erfüllen. Die allgemeine städtebauliche Planung lässt erkennen, dass grundsätzlich eine aufgelockerte Bebauung mit eingestreuten Grünflächen angestrebt wird.
With the construction of the Train Bridge over the Rhine river just south of Mainz in 1860, the "new" Gustavsburg appeared, to accompany a lonesome tavern and guesthouse that was present since 1784 in the old Gustavsburg port and a sister one that took hold in 1836. From these modest places with ten residents, in approximately a time period of 100 years, a blossoming industrial location was born. This location, that experienced many challenges during the last war, developed into a modern community and accomplished its goals. One can experience today, that the city planning, involving a loose-knit, green-area integration, has successfully been implemented and continues today.
-Quelle/Source: http://www.mainspitze-online.de/index-regionales.htm?http://www.mainspitze-online.de/regionales-geschichte-gigu.htm

Das römische Bühnentheater in Mainz erlitt durch den Bau der Eisenbahn eine ähnliche Geschichte wie die Gustavsburger Festung.
The roman amphitheater in Mainz suffered the same destiny as the Gustavsburg Fortress when train tracks and stations were constructed.
 
..
Oben links: der Bau der Eisenbahn und des Bahnhofes: mitten durch die Gustavsburger Festung. Oben rechts: der Bau der Eisenbahn und Mainzer Südbahnhofes: mitten durch das römische Bühnentheater in Mainz (Bild: Alfons Rath, IGL-Datenbank). Übrigens, das römische Bühnentheater in Mainz ist das größte Bühnentheater aus der Römerzeit, das nördlich der Alpen bis jetzt wiederentdeckt wurde.
Above left: Train track and station construction: cutting directly through the Gustavsburg Fortress. Above right: Train track and Mainz-South Station construction: cutting directly through the ancient Roman Amphitheatre in Mainz (Photo: Alfons Rath, IGL-Datenbank). By the way, the Roman Amphitheatre in Mainz is the largest one of its kind that has ever been discovered North of the Alps.

Wie sah die Festung Gustavsburg aus?
What did the Gustavsburg Fortress look like?

Die Nieu geboude Sweesche vestung Gustavusburg
Thee newely bilt Sweedish foretress Gustavsburg

Diese alte Postkarte von 1911 zeigt die Gustavsburg in den 1630er Jahren (Kupferstich von Merian). Man sieht auch die Brücke über den Main (Moenus Fluvius) zwischen Kostheim und Gustavsburg. Die Rhein-Insel-Landschaft hat sich seitdem stark verändert.
This old postcard from 1911 shows the Gustavsburg fortress and internal grid-layout in the 1630s (Copperplate Engraving by Merian). The banner on the upper left reads "the newly built Swedish fortress Gustavusburg". One can see the bridge over the Main (Moenus Fluvius) between Kostheim and Gustavsburg. The Rhine islands have changed dramatically since then.

Diese Luftaufnahmen zeigt die niederländische Stadt Naarden (etwa 20 km von Amsterdam). Die Stadt wurde zwischen 1675-1685 nach Abzug der Franzosen als Festung wieder aufgebaut, d.h. etwas mehr als 40 Jahren nach dem Bau der Gustavsburg--grob gesagt, in einer Generation. Man kann ziemlich gut vorstellen, wie die Gustavsburg hätte heute aussehen können, besonders wenn man bedenkt, dass die Gustavsburg "nach niederländischem System" (jedoch ohne Außen-Ravelins) gebaut wurde. Die Anzahl der Bastionen (6) und die Größe der Festungstadt Naarden sind mit den Daten der Burggelände in Gustavsburg verblüffend ähnlich. Eine Reise nach dem schönen Naarden lohnt sich!
The following areal images show the town of Naarden in the Netherlands (ca. 20 km from Amsterdam). The town was rebuilt as a fortress after the French retreated between 1675-1685 --that means about 40 years after the Gustavsburg fortress was built --roughly said, within one lifetime. Studying the images, it is quite easy to imagine how Gustavsburg might have appeared, especially when one considers that Gustavsburg was built, like Naarden, "according to the Dutch System" (however, without the outer ravelins). The number of bastions (6) and the size of the fortress-town of Naarden are amazingly similar to those of the fortress that was located in Gustavsburg. A trip to beautiful Naarden is worthwhile!


Bildquellen und mehr Information/Photo Sources and further information:
www.vestingmuseum.nl; www.naarden-cultureel.nl; www.googleearth.com

"...1631 zog Gustav Adolf in Seligenstadt ein...": Steinheimer Tor in Seligenstadt (1603-1605): Gilt dieser Turm als Vorlage (jedoch ohne den 2. u. 3. Stock) für den Gustavsburger Torturm? Nur eine Vermutung... jedoch, wenn man jedoch folgende Abbildung vom gleichen Tor in 1807 betrachtet, kommt man plötzlich näher an den vermuteten Baustil des Gustavsburger Torturms.
"...in 1631, Gustav-Adolf occupied the town of Seligenstadt...": This is the Steinheimer Gate Tower, built from 1603-1605. Did this tower influence the building of the main Gate Tower of the Gustavsburg fortress (however, in a "shorter version")? Just a theory... however, when one studies the following image below from 1807 of the same tower gate, one comes much closer to known images of the construction of the Gustavsburger Gate Tower.


Das Baumaterial für die Gustavsburg kam hauptsächlich aus Weisenau:
The contruction material for the Gustavsburg fortress came from Weisenau:

Steine des zerstörten St. Alban Klosters und St. Victorstiftes in Weisenau wurden herbeigeholt um als Baumaterial für die Gustavsburg Weiterverwendung zu finden. (Am 22.08.1552 wurde das Victorstift und die Kartause und am 23.08 das Albansstift und Heilig Kreuz, systematisch zerstört, geplundert und verbrannt). Unten links, neben der Kartusche mit "Moguntia" ist die Gustavsburg abgebildet.
Text und Abb. Unten=Quelle: Udo Mosbach (N. Person, 1689):

The stone material needed to construct the Gustavsburg fortress was taken mainly from the ruins of the St. Alban Monastery and the St. Victor Convent in Weisenau. (On 22 August 1552, the Victor Convent and the Kartause, and on 23 August, the Albans Convent and Holy Cross were systematically destroyed, pillaged and burned). In the lower left, next to the cartouche with "Moguntia", one can see the Gustavsburg fortress. Text and Image below=Udo Mosbach (N. Person, 1689): http://www.regionalgeschichte.net/rheinhessen/region/orte/orte-w/weisenau/weisenau-und-seine-kloester.html

Was ist von der Gustavsburg noch heute zu sehen?
What can one experience of the Gustavsburg Fortress today?

Ungefähr 3/4 des ehemaligen Burggeländes ist von dem Ort Gustavsburg überbaut. Teile davon sind der Hafenausbau zum Opfergefallen, Teile sind vom Ort selber überbaut oder sind jetzt in modernen Sportstätten einbezogen. Wenn man am Bahnhof steht, befindet man sich eigentlich fast mitten in der ehemaligen Burg drin. Der Geist der Burg, jedoch, ist sehr zu spüren... kommen Sie mit...
Approximately 3/4 of the former Fortress terrain has been built-over by the new town of Gustavsburg in some form or another. Parts of it have fallen to the expansion of the Rhine port, others to the expansion of our town or have been integrated into modern sports areas. When one stands at the Gustavsburg train station, one finds him/herself actually almost exactly in the middle of the former fortress walls. The spirit of the fortress is omnipresent... come along and explore the ghost of the past...


Oben: Die schwarze Zeichnung zeigt die Mauergrundrisse der Gustavsburg-Festung. Luftaufnahme vom 18. März 1953.
Above: The black outline shows the masonry walls of the Gustavsburg fortress. Aerial photo from 18 March 1953.
Quelle/Source: Kumbach Nr. 136, Juli 2002. www.spd-gigu.de/kumbach/136-pdf



Oben: Burggraben mit neuzeitlicher Festungsgrabenbrücke
Above: Fortress Moat with modern day Fortress-Moat-Bridge

Oben: Burgpark mit "Grundriss-Gabionen", die den Grundriss der Burg und deren Bastionen darstellen. Das riesige Areal der "alten Burg" lädt zur Wanderungen ein.
Above: Fortress Park with "Layout Grid", that allows you to discover the dimensions of the fortress. The enormous grounds of the Fortress Park are inviting for relaxing hikes and a discovery of nature.

Oben: Letzte "Eckreste" der Bastion* "Gustav"...., mit Gedenktafel.
Above: Last remaining stone ruins of the Bastion* "Gustav".... with commemorative plaque.

 *Die Gustavsburger Festung bestand aus 6 Bastionen, oder Bollwerken. Die Bollwerken, die zusammen einen 6-zackigen Stern bildeten, führten, von den gegen Kostheim liegenden beginnend und nach Osten, Süden und Westen folgend, als ihre Benennung die einzelnen Teile der Namen des Königs und der Königin: 1. Gustav, 2. Adolf, 3. Rex, 4. Maria, 5. Eleonora und 6. Regina. (Quelle: Chronik Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, S. 129, Gemeinde Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Otto Wenke & Claus Daschmann, 1976: Graphischer Betrieb Heinrich Auth.)
*The Gustavsburger Fortress had 6 Bastions. The Bastions together comprised the shape of a star with 6 points when viewed from above. Each Bastion had a specific name. Starting with the bastion pointing towards Kostheim, following East, South and West, they formed the names of the King and the Queen: 1. Gustav, 2. Adolf, 3. Rex, 4. Maria, 5. Eleonora and 6. Regina. (Source: Chronik Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Page 129, Gemeinde Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Otto Wenke & Claus Daschmann, 1976: Graphischer Betrieb Heinricht Auth.)

Oben: Gabionen (verteilt auf dem riesigen Burggelände) markieren den Grundriss der ehemaligen Burganlage. Die Festungsgräben der alten Burg sind teilweise noch vorhanden.
Above: The position of the fortress walls has been recreated using stone filled gabions, which can be explored throughout the extensive areal of the former fortress grounds. Parts of the moat surrounding the old fortress are clearly visible today.